Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Roll your own search tool, Rollyo - week 5, #12

I created a Rollyo search tool and added it to this blog (see below on the left). I included the links from the Holocaust pathfinder I use with students. I have titles and annotations about what is included in each site when I use this on a blog at school. This obviously didn't let me do that.

I can see helping teachers set one of these up for assignments where they want students to use specific websites. This task can also be accomplished on a wiki, blog or class site, but maybe this would be a way to keep these kinds of lists organized. Maybe it would be useful to organize lists of sites in a Rollyo and then paste the Rollyo on the wiki or blog? Maybe after I explore wikis more, I will have a better grasp of how I can use this or if I would want to incorporate it into a blog or wiki. I will have to explore it more to see if I want to use it with students. The directions on the site don't seem very intuitive, but you can eventually get it done.

4 comments:

IrmaPince said...

I have put a Rollyo search on my web page right below the Google search frame. If you have a web page, that might be a place to keep it.

JT said...

How did you get your Rollyo on your blog? I followed the instructions, but it did not work for me.

librarymum said...

Hi jt - You go to Rollyo and log on, then choose Tools and Put a Rollyo on your site. Page opens with 3 sections, choose the Rollyo you want to put on your site or blog from the left column, click on the arrow to add to the Searchbox rolls in the center column, choose the color here, then copy the code from the 3rd. column when it appears.

Go back to your blog, choose Customize at the top right corner, then select Add a page element. I chose HTML/Java, put it where I wanted it on the page, added a title and pasted the code into the text area and saved. It worked.

librarymum said...

Hi jt - You go to Rollyo and log on, then choose Tools and Put a Rollyo on your site. Page opens with 3 sections, choose the Rollyo you want to put on your site or blog from the left column, click on the arrow to add to the Searchbox rolls in the center column, choose the color here, then copy the code from the 3rd. column when it appears.

Go back to your blog, choose Customize at the top right corner, then select Add a page element. I chose HTML/Java, put it where I wanted it on the page, added a title and pasted the code into the text area and saved. It worked.